DCCA Guide Program
Beginning in February 2016, DCCA Guides will participate in an in-depth, 7-week training course that will focus on contemporary art interpretation, art history, art-making, touring techniques, and current DCCA exhibitions. Trainings will take place on Mondays starting February 1 until March 21, consisting of half-day and full-day sessions. Additional trainings will be scheduled once a month for new exhibitions and continued education. The training course will be led by the DCCA’s Curator of Education, along with guest lectures by curators, artists, and other museum professionals. After the training period, Guides will lead children and adult groups on interactive tours at the DCCA and conduct outreach site-visits to local schools and community organizations.
Because of the diversity of the audience we serve and the art we exhibit, the DCCA invites community members of various ages, backgrounds, and talents to become guides. Guides must have year-round, daytime availability for tours and training, a willingness to learn about contemporary art, and an enthusiasm for sharing their knowledge with others. Prior teaching, touring, studio art, or art history background is an asset but not required. Guides must complete the 7-week training class in order to lead tours and make a minimum of a two-year commitment.
- No previous teaching or art experience is required-just an enthusiasm for learning about contemporary art and working with people of all age groups.
- Training takes place February 1 – March 21 on Mondays.
- Application deadline is December 14, 2015.
- Use the link to the left to download an application; applications are also available at the DCCA front desk.
- Information session at DCCA on Monday, November 30, at 9:30 am.
Contact Jennifer Polillo, Curator of Education, to RSVP to information session or with questions.
Benefits of Becoming a Guide
DCCA Guides will receive special privileges such as:
- Invitations to exclusive exhibition walk-throughs and artist talks.
- Discounted rates to many DCCA programs and events.
- In-depth exploration of contemporary art.
- Opportunities to meet new people who share your interests and passions.
- An opportunity to contribute to DCCA’s mission of making contemporary art accessible to everyone.